Some say that it all started on the Red Carpet with celebrities like Miley Cyrus showing up with soft tousled deconstructed braids, yet others swear that it was Katniss Everdeen and the Hunger Games that launched the trend. Whatever you believe, one thing is certain -- this summer is all about the braid. From loose and lovely messy styles to feminine, yet structured updos, braids are all over the runway and even more so on the street.
Braids are especially perfect for apres beach. After a hard morning of surfing you can create some of these styles without so much as a hand mirror! Remember that messiness is all about this cool hair trend, so park your board, lay out your towel, braid your hair and kick back. No need to wait until your hair is dry either, some of these braids create awesome waves when you get back home and release them!
Top 2012 Braid Types:
- The Fishtail Braid (check out Kim Kardashian sporting one below)
- The Dutch or Halo Braid (Scarlett Johansson's wearing one below)
- The French Braid (love Drew Barrymore's version below)
- The Loose and Low Side Braid (see trendsetter Miley Cyrus and Vanessa Hudgens for 2 great examples)
- The Double French Braid (both Rachel McAdams & Nicole Richie wore them well)
- The Waterfall Braid (GOAB's very own Lucy Bleu is sporting one below!)
- The Classic Braid (see Rihanna below)
There are how-to's all over the internet! But of course the very best way to learn to braid is with a video tutorial. Here are some links to great ones that we found!